MARINE CAMP INSTRUCTOR
Marine Science Institute is a non-profit environmental education organization offering hands-on day camps that excite and enlighten students about science. We are seeking qualified Marine Camp Instructors for ten weeks of summer sessions. MSI is located in Redwood City, CA on the San Francisco Bay.
This is a seasonal, full-time position June 3, 2015 - August 14, 2015 (additional training dates to crew ship required)
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8 – 10 hours a day
Salary: based on experience
- Inspire excitement, personal achievement and cooperation in campers.
- Supervise campers and monitor their safety at MSI, during field trips, and as crew aboard the Institute’s research vessel.
- Provide an understanding of marine science topics such as adaptations, local habitats, food webs, and human impact.
- Lead activities, games, and songs.
- Evaluate and supplement current curriculum.
- Help keep an inventory of supplies.
- Support the training and development of Camp Counselors and Volunteers.
- Complete training as deck hand for research vessel (additional training dates required)
- BA or BS in marine science, biology or related field.
- Possess current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Able to pass standard drug testing as a requirement to crew the ship.
- Reliable transportation.
- Enthusiasm, self-motivation, and leadership skills.
- Enjoy working with children.
- Second language skills (especially Spanish) highly desired.
- Willingness to get wet and muddy in the field.
- Experience working at a camp or working with children.
Application deadline: March 6, 2015
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and employment application with three references to:
Marine Science Institute
500 Discovery Parkway
Redwood City, CA 94063
Attn: Felicia Van Stolk
(650) 364-2760 x19
*Open until filled